The object of the day is to go out birding – with a friend or friends – and try to find as many different species as you can. It is up to you and your team to decide who will drive and where you will go. It is even OK to venture into Moray….
We will all gather at the end of the day for a post-race get together over tea/coffee/whisky (buy your own) at The Snow Goose where we can collect in the results, present some prizes and have a chat about how your day has been. It will be great to have groups taking part from outwith the immediate Inverness area – maybe with outlying teams from Skye, W Ross, Sutherland, Strathspey and so on - and they can submit their records by phone.
A special ‘What’s App’ messaging group will be set up for the day so we can all keep in touch with our latest ‘finds’.
Don’t worry if you are on your own and would like to join a team, as I can put you in touch with other SOC members taking part.
Unfortunately………we have to have a few RULES……..
- Teams of up to 4 (4 maximum, 2 minimum).
- In order to encourage some younger people to take part, if your team includes a member less than 30 years old, then you automatically gain 3 extra points!
- Race duration – anytime from 0000hrs to 1630hrs (daylight is officially about 0850 to 1559 – 7hours - so it is up to you to choose how long you spend birdwatching).
- Team members must stay together if birding.
- At least 2 of the team members must see/hear each bird species to count it.
- Please use the attached checklist to record species seen/heard.
- No tape luring allowed.
- When a bird is identified to family but not to species level, it can in some cases still be a tick – e.g. a distant auk that might be Guillemot or Razorbill, can be ticked as ‘Auk sp.’, although neither Guillemot nor Razorbill can be subsequently ticked in addition.
- Bird lists must be submitted to Carol at the Snow Goose by 1630hrs.
- Please register teams with Carol Miller by 6pm on Friday 11th January giving a mobile contact number. People looking for a team to join should also register an interest with Carol and I will try to match you up. Please say if you have a car and are willing to drive. Please feel free to contact me if you have any queries.
- Carol’s email address is email@example.com
- Mobile phone number 07901228737
- Or sign up at the indoor meetings on Tuesday 4th December or Tuesday 8th January.
- Persons take part in the bird race at their own risk.
Have Fun and Happy Birding!
(written by Carol Miller)